Re: Re: Library Repository

--00151758f4041d78c4048082b93e Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

2010/2/26 phinitnan_c <crackerizer@...>

> --- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <kicad-devel%40yahoogroups.com>,
> Manveru <manveru@...> wrote:
> >
> > Despiting general discussion about symbols and library I suggest to
> publish
> > your efforts on the following wiki page:
> >
> > http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/KiCad:NewLib_Repository
> >
> > It is good place to boast your work :-) You can always put an remark on
> what
> > you are currently working on, to not double your work.
> > --
> > Manveru
> > jabber: manveru@...
>
> > gg: 1624001
> > http://www.manveru.pl
> >

> Dear all librarians,
> After reading this thread, I think we need a brainstorm. This is what i can
> summarize:
> 1. A central place to collect our work.
> 2. A new mailing list.
> 3. A convenient way to review each other's libraries.
>
> Here is my opinion:
> 1. We can use launchpad as a central repository. Everyone can have his/her
> branch to collect their work. When all work is ready, we can collect them
> and set as the main trunk.
>
> 2. We can also use launchpad as a new mailing list for new library
> development. Moving to launchpad has been talking for quite a while. I dont
> see any reason why shouldn't we move. Am i missing something?
>
> 3. Manveru suggested we can use wiki to collect image of drawings. This
> seems to be good at start. But when the number of drawing get larger, it can
> be problematic. What i suggest is, according to (1), a librarian can
> checkout any branch (any librarian's work) from launchpad and review it
> locally using library editor (instead of viewing captured images). Reviewer
> can go to the librarian's branch and make any comment/suggestion.
>
> Note: If we can have a conclusion whether the library's directory looks
> like(if we need a new structure), we can merge all work to the main trunk
> instantly. what benefit we can have is that only single main branch where
> all old/new approved librarians can 'checkout' and edit what they like.

If you want to plan milestones and do releases on launchpad, branches is a
must, they have to be accepted and then go into milestone/release branch.
And this is parallel to common commercial practices in software engineering.
You can always have two or three releases at once from different branches
for different type of libraries.

--
Manveru
jabber: manveru@...

&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:crackerizer@...";>crackerizer@...</a>&gt;<=
/span><br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid=
rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20
--- In <a href=3D"mailto:kicad-devel%40yahoogroups.com"; target=3D"_blank">k=
icad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</a>, Manveru &lt;manveru@...&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Despiting general discussion about symbols and library I suggest to pu=
blish<br>
&gt; your efforts on the following wiki page:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/KiCad:NewLib_Re=
pository" target=3D"_blank">http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/KiC=
ad:NewLib_Repository</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; It is good place to boast your work :-) You can always put an remark o=
n what<br>
&gt; you are currently working on, to not double your work.<br>
&gt; -- <br>
&gt; Manveru<br></div>
&gt; jabber: manveru@...<div class=3D"im"><br>
&gt; gg: 1624001<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.manveru.pl"; target=3D"_blank">http://www.manve=
ru.pl</a><br>
&gt;<br>
Dear all librarians,<br>
After reading this thread, I think we need a brainstorm. This is what i can=
summarize:<br>
1. A central place to collect our work.<br>
2. A new mailing list.<br>
3. A convenient way to review each other&#39;s libraries.<br>
Here is my opinion:<br>
1. We can use launchpad as a central repository. Everyone can have his/her =
branch to collect their work. When all work is ready, we can collect them a=
nd set as the main trunk.<br>
2. We can also use launchpad as a new mailing list for new library developm=
ent. Moving to launchpad has been talking for quite a while. I dont see any=
reason why shouldn&#39;t we move. Am i missing something?<br>
3. Manveru suggested we can use wiki to collect image of drawings. This see=
ms to be good at start. But when the number of drawing get larger, it can b=
e problematic. What i suggest is, according to (1), a librarian can checkou=
t any branch (any librarian&#39;s work) from launchpad and review it locall=
y using library editor (instead of viewing captured images). Reviewer can g=
o to the librarian&#39;s branch and make any comment/suggestion.<br>

Note: If we can have a conclusion whether the library&#39;s directory looks=
like(if we need a new structure), we can merge all work to the main trunk =
instantly. what benefit we can have is that only single main branch where a=
ll old/new approved librarians can &#39;checkout&#39; and edit what they li=
ke.</div>

=20=20

unchpad, branches is a must, they have to be accepted and then go into mile=
stone/release branch. And this is parallel to common commercial practices i=
n software engineering. You can always have two or three releases at once f=
rom different branches for different type of libraries.<br clear=3D"all">
www.manveru.pl">http://www.manveru.pl</a><br>
 --00151758f4041d78c4048082b93e--