Re: Building translations

Alain Portal wrote:
Hi,

I notice that source tarball or bzr version don't allow patches on strings: original strings, or translated strings...
A patch on original strings is probably difficult to manage.
But a patch on translated strings have to be easy to applied..
The problem is that "binaries" strings files (mo files) are provided in source tarball and shouldn't be.
A "make" command should build all .mo files.
I hope developers could fix this behaviour.

To be consistent with others free (free as freedom, not free as a beer...) softwares, it should be nice if localization files were place in a "po" directory (not internat) without any language subdirectory as actually, as $LANG.po files (i.e. de.po. fr.po. pt_BR.po.... instead of it/kicad.po, fr/kicad.po, pt_BR/kicad.po... )

Can you give a reason for this second paragraph other than "to be consistent". Please identify other benefits. Nobody here is afraid of being different. But we are also open to good ideas. Please list some.

On your first paragraph I seem to think what you are saying makes sense, but do not hold a strong opinion on it.

Dick