Re: Graphics Abstraction Layer for KiCad

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010, "Torsten Hüter" wrote:

I'm not yet happy with the text quality on OpenGL - perhaps I'll try out textures for small texts. For a higher quality (OpenGL) you have to force antialiasing in the graphics card setup on your desktop.

How about just using good old line smooth for text vectors? Also of interest might be http://macslow.net/?p=296 and
http://igortrindade.wordpress.com/2010/06/15/accelerating-2d-with-gallium3d/

It seems there is a lot of work going on Linux Gallium3D hardware acceleration, but if Kicad is going to keep cross platform status, the home brew may be better. I'm just inclined to think that it should be toolkit level work...

Please tell me we're *not* going toward opengl only. I simply do not
have an opengl capable machine at work :( Actually, I'm using kicad in
remote X!

There is always LLVM software back end for OpenGl, and some say it's quite usable if used carefully. After some testing it definitely seems usable as long as alpha blending is not used on too many pixels. My test rig was an old 1.6GHz single core laptop, so on modern CPUs one ought to get quite further.

-Vesa