Re: BZR for Developers

On 07/12/2010 01:46 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> On 7/12/2010 1:14 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>

>> This page is the best I have found so far for regular developers:
>>
>>         http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs
>>
>> It gives the information that is needed for a developer, someone who
>> contributes code.
>>
>> It is not particularly launchpad.net centric, and I am thinking about
>> reworking it to match our situation.  Do people think this would be helpful?
>>
> I think it would be very useful.  I particularly liked the section on creating
> a two way mirror.

That might not be as magic as it seems. Could be a consequence of the
way they checked out the branch.  I'd dig deeper into that.

>  I learned something new.  The Bazaar documentation has
> decent tutorial about launchpad integration at:
>
> http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/bzr.2.1/en/tutorials/using_bazaar_with_launchpad.html
>

>> If so, where would it best go?  As a FAQ, or somewhere else but put an
>> originating link in a FAQ?
>>
> A FAQ on the Kicad Developers page seems like the logical choice.  A link in
> the Kicad FAQ may be useful for folks considering becoming a developer.

The HTML formatting in the launchpad FAQs is really weak, no wiki like
formatting, but I don't know wiki source formatting anyway.  My
preference is to do it in HTML and have somebody find a place for it,
maybe even in the source tree project docs is an option.  I will still
very much welcome an additional idea that might knock that one off the
top of the list (put it into project source tree), it might be safer
somewhere else, more immune to change.

What I also learned today is that with OpenPGP signed email we can send
an attachment that is a bzr "merge request" (aka bzr bundle, fancy patch) to

  merge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

at which point they show up in a code review manager.  I like this and
want to be able to get there.  I don't know if everyone needs to do
this, or whether a volunteer can take merge requests (or even plain old
patches) from the list and remail them to the above address.

If the instructions were good enough, I would lean towards the former,
having everyone mail to merge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

I am not excited about asking folks to fire up OpenPGP capability in
order to send an email however, that is a high bar for something so
simple.  An alternative path to the same goal is to have a personalized
branch publicly accessible, and then use the merge request webform at
the launchpad.net site, wherein the merge request is generated by the
website by accessing the two branches, yours and the testing branch.

For project scalability reasons, I think the code review manager is
going to be important moving forward.  It puts patches on display before
they are committed, and pushes back onto the original poster the work of
cleaning things up.

>From another project, for example:

  https://code.launchpad.net/gwibber/+activereviews

I am merely trying to anticipate future needs a little here (based on
future project scaling requirements), and fully utilize the things that
launchpad is able to do for us.

My write up will also try and clarify the "bzr send" support for us a
little.

Dick