Re: BZR for Developers

On 7/12/2010 3:33 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> On 07/12/2010 01:46 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> On 7/12/2010 1:14 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>>

>>> This page is the best I have found so far for regular developers:
>>>
>>>         http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs
>>>
>>> It gives the information that is needed for a developer, someone who
>>> contributes code.
>>>
>>> It is not particularly launchpad.net centric, and I am thinking about
>>> reworking it to match our situation.  Do people think this would be helpful?
>>>
>> I think it would be very useful.  I particularly liked the section on creating
>> a two way mirror.
>

> That might not be as magic as it seems. Could be a consequence of the
> way they checked out the branch.  I'd dig deeper into that.

I believe you're correct about this.  Using bzr checkout would have likely
preserved the link back to the main launchpad branch.

>>  I learned something new.  The Bazaar documentation has
>> decent tutorial about launchpad integration at:
>>
>> http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/bzr.2.1/en/tutorials/using_bazaar_with_launchpad.html
>>

>>> If so, where would it best go?  As a FAQ, or somewhere else but put an
>>> originating link in a FAQ?
>>>
>> A FAQ on the Kicad Developers page seems like the logical choice.  A link in
>> the Kicad FAQ may be useful for folks considering becoming a developer.
>>

> The HTML formatting in the launchpad FAQs is really weak, no wiki like
> formatting, but I don't know wiki source formatting anyway.  My
> preference is to do it in HTML and have somebody find a place for it,
> maybe even in the source tree project docs is an option.  I will still
> very much welcome an additional idea that might knock that one off the
> top of the list (put it into project source tree), it might be safer
> somewhere else, more immune to change.
>

> What I also learned today is that with OpenPGP signed email we can send
> an attachment that is a bzr "merge request" (aka bzr bundle, fancy patch) to
>

>   merge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> at which point they show up in a code review manager.  I like this and
> want to be able to get there.  I don't know if everyone needs to do
> this, or whether a volunteer can take merge requests (or even plain old
> patches) from the list and remail them to the above address.
>
> If the instructions were good enough, I would lean towards the former,
> having everyone mail to merge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

By everyone do you mean developers both with and without commit access to the
launchpad main line repo or only developers without commit access?

> I am not excited about asking folks to fire up OpenPGP capability in
> order to send an email however, that is a high bar for something so
> simple.  An alternative path to the same goal is to have a personalized
> branch publicly accessible, and then use the merge request webform at
> the launchpad.net site, wherein the merge request is generated by the
> website by accessing the two branches, yours and the testing branch.

Either way works for me.  I don't know that publishing a public branch versus
creating a PGP key is any more or less painful.  I would think that someone
experienced enough to use Bazaar to push a personal branch to launchpad would
be comfortable using a PGP key to sign an email.

> For project scalability reasons, I think the code review manager is
> going to be important moving forward.  It puts patches on display before
> they are committed, and pushes back onto the original poster the work of
> cleaning things up.
>
>>From another project, for example:
>
>   https://code.launchpad.net/gwibber/+activereviews
>
> I am merely trying to anticipate future needs a little here (based on
> future project scaling requirements), and fully utilize the things that
> launchpad is able to do for us.
>
> My write up will also try and clarify the "bzr send" support for us a
> little.

Thanks for taking the lead on this.

Wayne