Menu item images on OSX

During my resent journey though the Kicad source I notice quite a few instances
of the following in the menu creation code:

#if !defined( __WXMAC__ )
    item->SetBitmap( save_project_xpm );
#endif /* !defined( __WXMAC__ ) */

Is there a specific reason why images should be excluded or included from Mac
menu items?  The problem is there doesn't seem to be any consistency in it's
use.  On some of the applications it's used on almost all of the menu items
(Kicad) and some applications virtually none at all (EESchema).  In any event
this screams creating a macro that expands to nothing on Mac builds to rid of
all of the #if/#endif statements.  Any insight from the OSX folks would be
appreciated.

Wayne