Re: library structure

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

So the flow of design information is:

 library symbol -> parts list part ->  schematic component

Just curious, has then been done before in any other schematic
software?  (The answer to that question will not necessarily determine
if this is a good idea.)

I don't think so... it seems overly complex IMHO. You've substantially
done the relational normalization splitting tables to avoid null fields
:P more than a part list I would call them a 'property list' attached to
each component (and then why the library symbol wouldn't be a column in
the part list?).

Also it seem to be really inconvenient to use... I want to use
a component? I must add to the part list, then instantiate it. Today
I just hit A and type the part number, eventually I edit the non-default
properties (very rare indeed).

Also I simply don't get the advantages... even during reporting in the
instance you have all the properties readily available (more or less one
indirection away).

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl