Re: library structure

On 09/26/2010 11:04 AM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> On 9/25/2010 1:01 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

>>> <<< snipped >>>

>>> This is an interesting concept.  I was thinking about embedding the library in
>>> the schematic instead of a separate library file when you suggested a separate
>>> project library file.  I actually like this concept better.  The only down side
>>> I see is that it requires implementing the schematic structure to support this
>>> at the same time which may be too big of a change to implement in a reasonable
>>> time frame.  We could implement the component library first and design in the
>>> capability to embed libraries into other files as part of the library
>>> structure.  Then we could repeat this same exercise for the schematic structure
>>> and make the library to schematic transition then.
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>>

>> If we're basing the new library file on s-expression (aka DSN like) and
>> using richio concepts, I don't think it is hard to assume that that
>> makes loading and saving pretty much context free and relocatable, i.e.
>> nestable.  It should be easy to extend the library file to include
>> sheets, wires, instantiated components, and desired parts list columns,
>> and after all that, call it a new schematic format.
>>
> I was planning on making the library file an s-expression using richio.
>  I didn't even consider anything else.
>
>> And if need be a new branch can be started to do any of this work, to
>> avoid exposing folks to a phase where the program is not usable.  As
>> always, I see the rate limiting problem being one of qualified
>> man-hours, and who gets to donate them.
>>
> Once this discussion dies down, I'll put together a bullet list summary
> and publish the new file format document.  Once that is fleshed out,
> I'll start working on it.  I am more than happy to push my dev branch to
> launchpad if anyone else is interested in helping.  I was thinking of
> using using conditional compilation to enable/disable reading and
> writing the new file format until the code is to keep the code base in a
> reasonably usable state.

Conditional compilation sounds like a reasonable migration path for the
library work.

I was mentioning the separate branch in respect to a new schematic
format and parts-list based UI, but it will take a few more emails later
in the game to solidify that path and those concepts.  Then we'd have to
find the qualified man-hours to complete the unified goals.

Dick