Re: kidcad.info Domain

On 10/07/2010 09:55 AM, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Amir Mohammadkhani-Aminabadi
> <amir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Even before one of them replied I noticed the domain has been registered
>> only around 20 hours after my email
>> on the same day I sent the email.
>>
> What probably happened is the service you used to check the domain was
> available registered that same domain based on the information you
> entered. It's illegal but pretty common. Good luck fighting that. The
> morale of the story is whenever you want to look up a domain name with
> the intent of registering it, only do so using a reputable service
> that will not register it before you.
>
> Denis.

Thanks Denis, this seems really plausible.

So you are saying the

$ whois kicad.info

will trigger the alert at the DNS provider.  My DNS provider is godaddy,
and I might have done that command.

godaddy has a reciprocal relationship with domainsbyproxy.  It would
take collusion to pull this off without it costing either money.

Although mischief normally happens at the employee level, not corporate,
it is hard to understand how a godaddy employee could register at
domainsbyproxy without it costing him money, unless he was in a position
to reciprocate a discount.

This is really all I want to say about it.

If you want to keep these guys busy, you could write a script that uses
whois in a for loop.

Dick