Re: kidcad.info Domain

The whois michief mostly happened via ADs run on whois sites that would via the referrer
know what domain has been looked up.

They would then proceed to register the domain and put up ads immediately to
see how much ad revenue was generated via the domain.
If revenue was greater than the cost of the domain registration they would keep it, otherwise it would have been dropped within five days - as five days is the added grace period in which registrars can "undo" a registration without cost.

But due to changes outlined in the PDF this is now prohibitively expensive.
Any registrar returning domains above a very small quota will be charged the
full price. http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agp-status-report-12aug09-en.pdf
The whole scam used to work because it was free to taste those domains
and do it on a very big scale - because most domains will not return
enough ad revenue to offset the registration cost.
Additionally, since those scammers usually run their business from Antigua
or some other remote place they would in no case pay the additional 10$
it costs to use Domains by Proxy. Every cent added did make this scheme
a lot less profitable.

Since GoDaddy is in the business of selling domains, and we are not talking
about something hugely popular and instant-profit promising as p**n.com
my logical conclusion would be that an entity close to kicad or one of the
developers acted in very bad faith.

Since we don't know where else that entity would stop, be it modifying the
source code to cause production problems or upload proprietary designs
to a remote server we should act on this.

cheers
amir