Re: File naming policy.

On 10/8/2010 10:50 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

>>> Due to all changes, a new branch is reasonable.
>>> I assume the "new branch" is (in your mind) actually a new branch pushed to
>>> Launchpad,
>>> not a subtree of the current testing branch
>>> But (this is just an idea, I am not saying this is a good idea):
>>> Keep the testing branch, and just create a new tree like testing/eeschema2 in
>>> the current testing branch and keep the current version in testing/eeschema.
>>>

> OK, as soon as it evolves to something more than a dream or document, I
> think the best path will make itself clear.  Whatever minimizes pain, if
> it hurts, don't do it.
>
> I think the graphics modularization in eeschema is evolving nicely due
> to all the work done by everyone, plotting too.  My thanks to Wayne,
> Lorenzo (plotting) and Jean-Pierre.
>
> And Jean-Pierre the Gerber work is pretty substantial and ambitious.
> Nice job.
>
> Regarding the two dimensional transform matrix, I wonder if we should:
>
> A) typedef the transform to hide the [2][2] with a typedef, and then
> B) pass it by const & reference using that typedef.
>

> What I see now looks like it causes the machine to push 4 integers each
> time a call is made.  Passing a reference (i.e. a machine pointer) cuts
> out 3 pushes.

And pops off the stack on the way back out of the Draw method.  The Draw
method takes a lot of parameters.  I'll bet if someone were clever
enough they could turn all these parameters into a simple self
initializing class that covers most of the common drawing configuration
and just pass a reference of it to the Draw method.  Maybe a few derived
versions for special drawing configurations such printing or plotting.
Just food for thought.

> Small potatoes, but if it simply search and replace.
>
> Most calls are nested twice, so this reduces the pushes from 8 to 2.
>
> The graphics functions are now effectively doubly encapsulated, once
> with the objects we have that use Draw() and then the graphics
> abstraction layer.  For simply drawing I see it getting easy now to swap
> out stuff underneath this nice layering.  That was "for simply drawing",
> a little harder is the interactive dragging operations, box rubber
> banding etc.
>
> Any way Kicad has evolved nicely *under the hood* in the last 4 years.

There is much more forth coming on this front.  I am going to move all
the component library object editing code in symbdraw.cpp into the
appropriate objects.  Library component objects will know how do draw
themselves while they are being drawn, moved, re-sized, etc.  This
should be the last of the external manipulation of the component library
objects.  At this point I should be able make all the members private
and then begin the same process on the schematic objects.

Wayne