Re: Kicad performance

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010, Alex G wrote:

True, but I am still not convinced of the wisdom of having three
different drawing APIs. At least vector exports use the same code path
regardless of the OS. You don't end up in a situation where it works on
*nix* but not on MS or vice-versa. Same can be said about rendering.

It would be *exactly* the same situation... for plotting we have (last
time I worked on them) a gerber printer, an DXF printer, an HPGL printer
and a postscript printer. You could actually plot the schematic to
gerber if you wanted to, simply adding a 'new' call to instantiate it.

As I get it, he done something similar to the display code path...

Look up under 'virtual functions' and 'class inheritance' in your C++
book :D (heck, GTK does it in plain C, too!)

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl