Re: Editing value field in eeschema/libedit seems to fail.

On 11/21/2010 4:49 PM, Marco Mattila wrote:
> This was changed in revision 2559. The reason was "Fix bug that
> prevented component from being replaced in library when the component
> root name was changed." I don't quite get the point, though. What
> exactly was the bug? Value != component name? Is there something that
> could be done to enable copying components the way Karl described it?
> Or is there another way? Maybe Wayne Stambaugh has some comments?

I cannot comment on the behavior Karl described.  I can tell you that
this issue has been a on going problem due to the current library and
component designs.  A couple of not particularly elegant solutions is to
save the component to a new library and rename it or export it and
change the name and import back into the current library.  There
probably should be a way to copy an existing component and giving it a
new name but that would require some coding.  Obviously, if you are
making an identical copy of a component using an alias makes more sense.
 I don't know how much effort I would be willing to spend on this as
Dick and I are collaborating on the new library and part s-expression
format which will make this problem go away.

Wayne