Re: KiCad Windows builder

On 08/03/2011 02:01 PM, Kerusey Karyu wrote:
> Dnia 2011-08-01, pon o godzinie 21:53 +0100, Brian Sidebotham pisze:
>> Hi Kerusey,
>>
>> I have just fixed the wxWidgets build problem, and also the
>> out-of-date MinGW installer URL. Hopefully the MinGW installer will
>> become stable soon.
>>
> Well. The script is now working. :) MinGW was installed, wxWidgets are
> build, Kicad binaries also. But...
>
> After a 2 hours of script progress:
> 1) Kicad binaries are hudge. eeschema.exe is an ~10MB file for example.
> 2) Kicad binaries searching for libstdc++-6.dll and libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
> I have found it on SF, but I think something (wx or Kicad) need a patch
> for easy Windows build.
> 3) With these dll's Kicad binaries need a long time to run. eeschema.exe
> for example need a 25 sec to start and show working area! Task manager
> shows 50% CPU usage during this time; and regular, an incremental memory
> "eating" up to 22 megs. :(
>
> So. I'm Looking for solution, and I need to try step by step procedure
> found on Yahoo groups.
>
> That's all from My own battlefield now.
>
> ---
> Regards
> Kerusey Karyu

Brian,

Are you setting the

  -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release

on the cmake command line when you generate the Kicad Makefiles?

Sort of sounds like a Debug build, not a Release build.

Kerusey,

The 2 hours is a function of many environment considerations.  Internet speed,
harddrive speed, computer speed are chief among them.

There will probably be folks for which this script runs much faster than 2
hours, just guessing.

(My machine compiles the entire Kicad source in 3 mins 30 seconds, on Ubuntu
x86_64, no wxWidgets, just Kicad.)

Dick