Re: KiCad new look - new icons and new buttons

On 8/23/2011 12:12 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> On 08/23/2011 10:10 AM, fabrizio wrote:
>> At section ".png and .xpm comparison" of this page:
>> http://www.vincentresearch.com/tmp/
>>
>> you find a (simple) visual comparison between .xpm and .png.
>>
>> Regards
>> Fabrizio
>
> Basically, is this visual comparison not a comparison of the two different sizes?
>
> The PNG is not noticeably different at the same size, is it?
>
> What I like about the automated design I came up with is that I don't believe it
> is size specific.  Meaning you could probably tweak the driver script and come
> up with different sized bitmaps, in a few seconds.
>
> Fabrizio, if we go this way, you will need to be careful not to change the base
> filenames of any of the bitmaps.  The spelling and case if each character will
> need to stay exactly the same as what they used to be in the code.
>
> Thanks, let's way for Jean-Pierre, Wayne, and others to comment now.

I think it's a great idea.  The PNGs give us alpha blending which I believe the
XPM format doesn't support.  Although I don't know how important alpha blending
is in toolbar images.

FYI, wxImage::AddHandler( new wxPNGHandler ) is already called in
WinEDA_App::InitEDA_Appl() so it should not necessary to call it in the
proposed MakeBitmap function.

Wayne