Re: KiCad new look - new icons and new buttons

On 8/25/2011 2:09 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

>> Wayne,
>>
>> I am reluctant to burn the bridge, even if we stop using it.
>>
>> The reason I say this is because we can quite easily have multiply sized images,
>> and there will be some image size that will not screw popup menu texts.
>>
>> So as a path forward, what I suggest is to strive for encapsulation, where we
>> can control policy in a few lines of code.
>>
>> Get a menu utility function which makes this decision, and put a single
>>
>> #if
>> #endif
>>
>> in there, with a build option to control that.
>
> Its a shim function that creates the menu entries.  We already have something
> close, but we polish it and instrument it with this policy control point.

I'm sure your thinking of all the variations of ADD_MENUITEM* in macros.h.
Currently there are #if/#endifs around SetBitmap() to prevent bitmaps from
being added to menus on OSX.  We could just as easily add another entry to
config.h.in and a CMake definition to control if bitmaps get added to menu
items.  The default behavior would be exactly what we currently have but they
could be forced on or off at build time.  I'm am willing to make is so, if no
one objects.  This is one of those issues where the builders might want to
consult with the Kicad user group before changing the current behavior.