Re: Duplicate schematic sheet names.

On 8/31/2011 9:36 AM, hauptmech wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 08:29 -0400, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:

>>> I believe we should not accept duplicate sheet names.
>>> Yes this is confusing, and duplicate sheet names are a potential source of bugs.
>>>

>> JP,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.  I already have a patch to prevent the user from entering
>> duplicate sheet names on a schematic page.  However, it doesn't address the
>> case where schematics already have duplicate sheet names.  I'll commit the
>> changes that I have and take a look at what can be done for existing schematics.
>>
>> Wayne
>
> One possibility is to add a 'description' field (which is what many
> users would have been using the 'name' field for if they used
> duplicates), copy the name into the description and then unique the name
> any way you like.

In the forthcoming file format I would like to avoid the way we currently
handle complex hierarchies using a path of time stamps.  Unless you understand
how the time stamp paths work, this:

AR Path="/4B3A1333/4B616B96" Ref="R25"  Part="1"

is not human readable.  This is the reason that duplicate sheet names is not an
issue with the current design.  I'm thinking of using an inheritance design
similar to how the SWEET file format remap component pins for assigning
reference designators and part numbers for components with multiple parts per
package in sheets.  I can add a description to the sheet definition in the new
schematic file format specification.  I do not want to open up the new
schematic file format discussion again until I finish the initial draft.  I
should have this done by the end of September.  You can follow the original
discussion by search the mailing list archives for new schematic file format.
After I publish the specification, we can reopen the discussion to finalize the
spec.