Re: eeschema fields moved in version 3230

On 1/6/2012 2:21 PM, jean-pierre charras wrote:
> Le 06/01/2012 16:14, Dick Hollenbeck a écrit :

> I just committed a change in sch_field.cpp,
> to go back to old behavior for field texts justifications (I am thinking
> this patch works in all cases).
> Note: only vertical texts have a modified behavior.
>
> This option is not currently activated.
> To test it, change the line
> #define USE_TEXT_JUSTIFY_INITIAL_BEHAVIOR 0
> #define USE_TEXT_JUSTIFY_INITIAL_BEHAVIOR 1
> in sch_field.cpp
>
> Set USE_TEXT_JUSTIFY_INITIAL_BEHAVIOR to 0 to use  a justification
> relative to the text itself
> (the current behavior)
> The justification relative to the horizontal text.
> Se to 1 to go back to the initial Eeschema behavior.
> The initial behavior is:
>   For vertical texts, exchange the horizontal and the vertical
> justification
>   The idea is to keep the justification always left or top for instance,
> no matter the text orientation
>
> Unfortunately, this is very tricky when you want to change a text field
> justification,
> when the field and the component are both rotated 90.0 degrees
>
> This is the reason I changed the justification of rotated texts.
>
> For instance, using the old behavior:
> * load a component like "R" from the device lib (the value is rotated
> 90.0 degrees).
> * Rotate the component 90.0 degrees.
> * change "R" to a bigger text.
>
> and try to change a justification...
>
> (Try the same thing with the new behavior).
>

> However the new behavior breaks schematics that use many components
> having fields rotated,
> and using a not centered justification.
>
> So we make a decision: old or new behavior?
>
> I need your opinion.

JP,

If this is truly a fix and it renders justified text accurately where
the previous design was incorrect then it makes sense to me to use the
new behavior even though it will require some clean up of existing
schematics.  It may be possible to increment the schematic version
number as way to automatically adjust the text coordinates to compensate
for the difference between the old an new behaviors.  This would make
life easier for folks with large schematics that are effected by the new
behavior.