Re: KiCad Tools for Production? (Multipanel, etc.)

On 16 January 2012 08:26, Michael Heidinger <mch.heidinger@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wondered if Kicad has a tool for constructing in a easy way MultiPanel
> PCB?
> The EEV-Blog describes how these panels should look.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXE_dh38HjU&feature=related
> In basicly he tells a lot interesting stuff, but at 19:30 or 25:40 you can
> see what I'm searching for.
>
> I would wish a function where I can select "create panels" and then I can
> move the single PCB as one. Additionally I would like a function where I can
> import other PCBs from other projects.
>
> What do you think about this idea? Is that possible?
>
> Michael

Panels are multiples of a PCB. KiCad (PCBNEW) is for designing the
PCB. The panel functionality is normally done by a gerber editor, in
fact normally this is dealt with by the PCB fabrication house. So all
you need do is specify a horizontal and vertical step distance and the
fabrication house will produce the necessary step and repeated PCB
panel for you.

If you must do it yourself, it is best to do this though a gerber
editor, and not a PCB editor.

Best Regards,

Brian.