Re: component/module search list library display TODO

On 3/18/2012 7:36 PM, lajos kamocsay wrote:
> Hello-
>

> I was going to add a feature to the component/module search dialog to
> display the library name if the element is found in multiple
> libraries. But then I noticed that there is a task for this in
> TODO.txt already.

Lajos,

The component/module search task is on my to do list.  Like most things
in KiCad, there are more things to do than people to do them.

> Is this an active task? Is anyone working on it already?

I've have not done any work on this so it is not an active task.  I did
however lay the ground work by adding searching capability to the
CMP_LIBRARY class.  The function SearchEntryNames() is used to search
for components in a library.  There are two versions of this function.
One does simple string comparisons and the other does regular expression
comparisons.  The regular expression version is untested.  I am not sure
if the same search code exists in the module library class.  If it does,
I didn't write.

> If this is not started yet, can I get some information on what you
> guys envisioned so I can take a stab at it?

I was thinking about adding a filter button and filter string combobox
control to the component/module list dialog along with the usual
persistence mechanisms to save and load the last few filter entries.  At
some point this may be made completely irrelevant when the new file
formats are implemented as Dick mentioned.

Wayne