Re: import directory

On 05/06/2012 06:47 PM, Frank bennett wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 11:28 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>>> I would recommend loosing up restrictions on contrib code,
>> Yeah no problem, I created the branch for your code today, it is bran new.  We just have
>> to clear a higher threshold for code wanting to make its way into testing branch.
>>
> I can't find it, I only see: trunk, stable and testing....

You can see it here and here:
https://code.launchpad.net/kicad
https://code.launchpad.net/~kicad-testing-committers

Check it out with

$ bzr co lp:~kicad-testing-committers/kicad/kicad-contrib <destDirectoryName>

Are you looking to achieve standalone utility programs?  Or Pcbnew PLUGIN's, which can
eventually become DLL/DSOs down the line?

> *fwb@fw:/tmp$ bzr info lp:kicad*
> Standalone branch (format: unnamed)
> Location:
>   branch root: bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/%2Bbranch/kicad/
>
> Related branches:
>   parent branch: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kicad-testing-committers/kicad/testing/
> *fwb@fw:/tmp$ bzr info lp:kicad/stable*
> Standalone branch (format: unnamed)
> Location:
>   branch root: bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/%2Bbranch/kicad/stable/
>
> Related branches:
>   parent branch: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kicad-testing-committers/kicad/testing/
> *fwb@fw:/tmp$ bzr info lp:kicad/contrib*
> bzr: ERROR: Permission denied: "Cannot create 'contrib'. Only Bazaar branches are allowed."
> *fwb@fw:/tmp$ bzr info lp:kicad/kicad-contrib*
> bzr: ERROR: Permission denied: "Cannot create 'kicad-contrib'. Only Bazaar branches are
> allowed."
> *fwb@fw:/tmp$ bzr info lp:kicad-contrib*
> bzr: ERROR: Not a branch: "bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/%2Bbranch/kicad-contrib/".
> *fwb@fw:/tmp$ bzr info lp:kicad/new*
> bzr: ERROR: Permission denied: "Cannot create 'new'. Only Bazaar branches are allowed."
> *fwb@fw:/s/opt/bzr/kicad/kicad/kicad$ bzr tags*
> April-2010-release   2339
> copy-of-subversion-repo 2339
>
> I'm also not sure I need a branch, only a new directory: *kicad/contrib*.
> My contrib stuff is standalone, for example: EDIF(Orcad) in; .sch, .pro
> and .cache.lib out and contrib/edif2kicad/make would only need to be
> run to include e2sch, e2net in a binary distribution.

We did not want it in the testing tree until it passes muster, per earlier email.

> Are the following defines consistent for Kicad project with bzr?
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> The *trunk* is the main line of development in a SVN repository.

Forget "trunk".  Currently that term is not used with BZR.

> A *branch* is a side-line of development created to make larger, experimental
> or disrupting work without annoying users of the trunk version. Also,
> branches can be used to create development lines for multiple versions
> of the same product, like having a place to backport bugfixes into a
> stable release.
>
> Finally, *tags* are markers to highlight notable revisions in the history
> of the repository, usually things like "this was released as 1.0".
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
> Who, how is the kicad package for Ubuntu generated for example?

There is a package maintainer person, he has a debian/rules script which essentially
invokes CMake using some advanced form of CMake command line options.  These in part, do
cherry picking.

I believe the branch they use is "stable".  For anyone wanting something more current, and
using Ubuntu, I usually recommend that they add Adam Wolf's PPA to the repo list, and
least while looking for an update.

https://launchpad.net/~adamwolf/+archive/kicad-testing-daily

This is built daily by the launchpad servers from a recipe that calls our CMake scripts.
The recipe is fired for all versions of Ubuntu, daily after doing a bzr co on the testing
branch.

> A quick look through the CMake stuff, any package distribution doesn't
> seem to be a target. How does the set of files get specified for a ubuntu
> binary release? Just wondering how to specify contrib exe, libs, script
> files, etc...
>
> Is there a developers best practices doc somewhere beyond coding?

I found section 3 of this very helpful when first starting with BZR

http://emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs

And of course the coding standards document

https://answers.launchpad.net/kicad/+faq/1813

> man bzr is more helpful than bzr help.
>
> *fwb@fw:/tmp$ bzr whoami*
> Frank Bennett <bennett78@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

That is an important step!  It knows who you are!