Re: Why ALL capital letters for classes and typedefs

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 04:09:48PM +0200, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo wrote:
> If you start changing capitalization on all files around you'll get DVCS
> branches broken,
> and it will lead to a lot of "useless" work, a work that will give very
> little gain.

Having merge conflicts just because someone reindented variable names also is somewhat disturbing (but nothing to lose sleep at...)

> I agree that the current standard could lead to little confusion sometimes,
> but it's not bad at
> all, it gives uniformity to our source code, and it's more than enough.

Personally I have no problem with *any* standard, if there is some motivation
underlying and its feasible with an editor :D

I (even) worked for a cobol shop (on the Y2K issue!) where some statement was forbidden because in 1960 mainframes it was slow... of course IBM fixed the problem waaaaay time ago but evidently the IT manager was not up to date with the state of the art XD

And of course, everything in upper case strictly between column 12 and 72... so there are worst coding standards around :P:P

Anyway I think strange that so few people uses the official C++ coding convention (these used in the std:: library). But we have worse problems:P

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl