Re: Win32 compilation for kicad scripting

On 07/23/2012 03:07 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> On 7/23/2012 3:22 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

>>> Bundling the Python interpreter with the windows installer is probably
>>> your safest bet for most users.  The other option I've seen that works
>>> well for power users is to also provide Python specific builds of the
>>> installer.  Take a look at what the Bazaar folks are doing at
>>> http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/WindowsDownloads.  It's more work for
>>> the developers building windows installers but it makes life a bit
>>> better for your users.  I tend to error on the side of the user when it
>>> comes to ease of installation.
>>>
>>> Don't feel too bad for those Windows users just yet.  I still do not
>>> have a fully functional 3D graphics on Linux with my AMD HD7670 graphics
>>> card.  The neither the open source Radeon driver or the propriety AMD
>>> catalyst driver works properly.  So I'm forced to either go buy an
>>> NVidia card or run GNOME3 in the fall back mode (read low resolution and
>>> no 3D ).  In spite of Linus' rants about NVidia, their proprietary Linux
>>> drivers have never given me any problems.  On Windows my shiny new
>>> graphics card works just fine.  I really thought we were getting past
>>> the whole graphics card nonsense but I guess not.  I'm glad I got that
>>> off my chest.  I feel much better now :)
>>
>> When I bought my last computer, I paid $35 more to have Linux pre-installed on it.  This
>> was a linux compatibility verification only.
>> After I got it, I installed my own Ubuntu on it and blew away what they had done.
>>
>> My thinking was that if the computer vendor could not get a recent linux running properly
>> on the hardware, that my time was too valuable to even try the machine.
> Live and learn.  I already have Zareason and System76 on the radar for
> my next system be it laptop or desktop.  I'll be more than willing to
> fork out a few extra bucks to avoid the headache I'm currently dealing with.

Your next computer may not even be Intel compatible, could be a 4th generation Raspberry
Pi or Beaglebone.

Linux compatibility is assured in such a situation.  (I say that with full knowledge that
Microsoft is dating ARM.)

Our worst nightmare is that Microsoft buys ARM.

Dick