Re: PLUGIN::Footprint*() from python

On 11/10/2012 11:09 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
OK, I got a footprint library to convert from legacy to kicad format using the attached
command line python script.
It ran nicely, and quickly, without a fuss once I get it setup correctly.

Procedure I used, which is perhaps not optimal, but is one that worked:
(I'm open to suggestions on improvement.)

1) Build target _pcbnew after enabling scripting in cmake.
$ make _pcbnew

2) Changed dir to pcbnew
$ cd pcbnew
$ pwd
build/pcbnew

3) Entered following command line, script takes to arguments: oldLibPath & newLibPath
$ PYTHONPATH=. ../lib_convert.py /usr/local/share/kicad/modules/smd_dil.mod /tmp/smd_dil

4) inspect one footprint found in new librarypath /tmp/smd_dil
$ less /tmp/smd_dil/msoic-10.kicad_mod

Attached is one of the converted footprints, *.kicad_mod
Observations:

a) Layernames should be in English always (in a footprint, not a board).

b) The old footprint was deci-mils, the new one is mm.

c) The next thing I notice is the ugyly timestamps on the fp_lines.

Wayne or JP, do we need those time stamps on mere lines?

Dick,

I believe there are some BOARD objects that require time stamps so I was being conservative and kept them in objects if I wasn't sure if they were required. I'm guessing fp_lines do not need a time stamp. JP will know if they are needed or not. There may also be some other BOARD objects in the board file that have time stamps that are not required as well. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.