Re: remove time-stamps to make files more VCS friendly

Le 13/12/2012 21:10, Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :
On 12/13/2012 2:36 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
On 12/13/2012 01:33 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
On 12/13/2012 01:00 PM, Kaspar Bumke wrote:
In the .sch files the lines look like this

EESchema Schematic File Version 2  date Tue 11 Dec 2012 20:41:50 GMT

and

Date "11 dec 2012"

I am pretty sure that there are similar ones in the .brd and .lib
files and others. They are the ones that get updated everytime the
files are saved.

Also, we probably should be only talking about the *.kicad_pcb format only.  The older one
will fall into dis-use soon.

I guess I don't know if a similar thing is planned for the new format
and now would be a good time to discuss it.
Yes, just save your board with the save as menu, but before you do, pick the "file type"
in the filename dialog as *.kicad_pcb, then get a good look.

I think there's a good argument for a configuration setting, as to whether this is
"save-date" included.

Timestamps have another meaning, let's rather use "save-date".

So we can either a) remove them, b) make their presence configurable, or c) do nothing.
Doesn't the file system already keep track of the file modification date
and time information?  Adding it to the file seems a bit redundant.  I
wouldn't be offended if we removed it from the new file format.

"Doesn't the file system already keep track of the file modification date
and time information"

Yes and no.
For instance, when copying the file, the date of the source is kept under Windows, and updated under Unix. And the file modification date has no meaning when this file is sent by Internet. In fact, when sharing files on a server, the file system date is not always usable.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS