Re: remove time-stamps to make files more VCS friendly

Le 13/12/2012 20:36, Dick Hollenbeck a écrit :
On 12/13/2012 01:33 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
On 12/13/2012 01:00 PM, Kaspar Bumke wrote:
In the .sch files the lines look like this

EESchema Schematic File Version 2  date Tue 11 Dec 2012 20:41:50 GMT

and

Date "11 dec 2012"

I am pretty sure that there are similar ones in the .brd and .lib
files and others. They are the ones that get updated everytime the
files are saved.

Also, we probably should be only talking about the *.kicad_pcb format only.  The older one
will fall into dis-use soon.

I guess I don't know if a similar thing is planned for the new format
and now would be a good time to discuss it.
Yes, just save your board with the save as menu, but before you do, pick the "file type"
in the filename dialog as *.kicad_pcb, then get a good look.

I think there's a good argument for a configuration setting, as to whether this is
"save-date" included.

Timestamps have another meaning, let's rather use "save-date".

So we can either a) remove them, b) make their presence configurable, or c) do nothing.

Jean-Pierre, what is your opinion?
I just don't want to f**k up the PLUGIN with configuration variable testing, since plugins
are given limited access back into the other structures.

We'd need to pass this in as a PLUGIN option, otherwise I'd object.

Otherwise I don't care, but I don't want plugins being polluted with knowledge beyond the
BOARD.

Dick

The time stamp is not mandatory, but sometimes useful. So:
b) and c) are not good.
a) is acceptable.
d) An easy to code other idea:
    - store the read time stamp in the BOARD class.
- if there is a change (i.e. when OnModify() is called) clear the stored time stamp. - when saving the file, if (and only if) the stored time stamp is cleared, use a new time stamp.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS