Re: Python scripting cmake build macros.

2013/1/17 Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Nice job, I am glad I was able to inspire you to see the light.

Just did nothing but follow the readme, it's good that you found it. I hope
I will be able to port it to the latest 2.7.x python, anyway, I will
consider that low priority, it's not a stopper at all.

> This approach puts the task firmly in your comfort zone.

Mine, and everybody's I hope, the python build scripts are a mess :-)

> It would not be unreasonable for you to be a maintainer of your very own
> Mingw-Python for
> Windows binaries, you know, like a rock star, I mean package maintainer.

I forked the cmake script so in the case we do some enhancements I will
send them back for merge.

> Remember that python has to compile with gcc for linux, so the python
> source is always
> going to be mostly acceptable for mingw-gcc.
> You only have to worry about the boundaries such as system calls and
> library functions.
>
> It does not seem overly difficult to maintain a big ass patch indefinitely
> if the python
> guys prove too stubborn for your CMake preferences.

Well, the 2.7.x branch must be maintaned only for security and bugs, but no
new features, so it should be not a problem.

> You could have a separate patch for 3.x python as well, and compete with
> them on superior
> packaging until they see the light.  Use CMake packaging to keep it simple
> and fast.

Hehe, 3.x is another war, that we must fight later :-), but we must keep
that in mind and write 2.7 - 3.x compatible code.

> The benefits of CMake are so extreme that I would not rule out making a
> build environment
> in it for wxWidgets or even wxPython.
>
> Just think of maintaining your trees in whatever version control system
> the upstream folks
> are using, this way you can always regenerate your patches.  But to be
> honest, you may not
> even have to distribute your patches, depending on license.

Well I have no problem in distributing the patches or build script, I think
it's something important to the community,
to have the freedom to rebuild them as needed.

> The trees do not necessarily comprise your product, your "product" is the
> 6 pre-built
> Windows packages, suitable for download and installation by KiCad users as
> a minimum.

Well, I took all that mess (with the benefits too) to KiCad so It's fair to
make it my task will keep you updated
on the efforts, more during tomorrow night, tomorrow I must deliver some
software release for a client.

> On 01/16/2013 02:52 PM, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo wrote:
> > cmake + python 2.7.1 mingw cross compilation worked here too, for some
> reason cmake tried to link
> > "dl" and failed, I skipped that manually, and worked :-)
> >
> > That -ldl failure happened to you too Dick?
>
> Yes, but I did not mention it because we know how easy it is to edit
> CMakeLists.txt
> files.  Comfortable territory.

Ok, that's good that it wasn't my system only.

I'd love to be able to make the 6 stones, (prebuilt packages) and also
manage to auto-build kicad for win32,
so we can start delivering a testing win32 build for all the users.

Anybody has experience in building windows installers with something free?

--

Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo
http://www.nbee.es