Re: Patch for hand-modifiable issue date

On 5/23/2013 1:26 PM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 12:40:46PM -0400, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> I took a look at this patch and it looks pretty good.  I had to tweak
>> the border and the proportion settings of some of the controls to get
>> them to align properly with the rest of the dialog controls.  Also, you
>
> The dialog editor is *really* difficult to use with only a 1024x768
> screen. Glade has the same problem, they are probably designed for
> bigger screens. That, and me which have no idea on how control layout
> works in wx... it's quite different than the gtk one.

Control layout in wxWidgets is sizer based which makes it more like GTK
than Windows RC files.  The wxWidgets sizers do behave differently than
GTK sizers so it takes some getting used to.

>> forgot to uncomment the date field in TITLE_BLOCK::Format() so the date
>> wasn't getting saved in the new pcb file format.  I went ahead and fixed
>> it so there is no need to submit another patch.  One thing I do want to
>
> It must be escaped!
>
>> suggest is rather than use wxDP_DEFAULT, we might want to consider using
>> wxDP_DROPDOWN for the wxDatePickerCtrl.  On Windows, wxDP_DEFAULT uses a
>> spin control to individually set each date field (day, month, year)
>> which doesn't feel as user friendly to me as the drop down calendar used
>> on GTK and OSX.  If there are no objections to this, I will go ahead and
>> make the change and commit this patch.
>
> No problem with that *but* be careful that some styles are supported on
> some platform and vice-versa... for example the drop down is not
> supported on Mac, according to the docs. Also the spin is not supported
> on gtk (it asserts) even if it's not said in the docs:(

Did you test this on a Mac?  The 2.8 documentation for wxDatePickerCtrl
would suggest that wxDP_DROPDOWN is available on all platforms.

> Maybe it's better to keep it on default (unless there are report of this
> working properly everywhere)

I'll leave it set to wxDP_DEFAULT for now until someone with a Mac can
confirm this.  Thank you for the patch and the input.