Re: pcbnew hang

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On 6/16/2013 12:44 PM, Chris Morgan wrote:
> > Hi Wayne.
> >

> > I think the difference may be due to where the app was started. It's
> > the same build with debug enabled and installed from the kicad testing
> > repository. The actual directories are odd though, they are off of a
> > backed up root install from another server and are symlinks that
> > aren't present in the directory. They are in the backed up directories
> > udev/devices/fd/ folder but they appear to be created as a product of
> > the app running I guess or else I'm missing something.
> >
> > Chris
>
> Hey Chris,
>
> I would think you would want to know how these symlinks got onto your
> system.  It seems odd that the /udev/devices/fd/ path would be symlinked
> anywhere that KiCad would be installed or built.  That being said, you
> have found a serious issue with wxDirTraverserSimple which is used by
> wxDir::GetAllFiles().  I will either have to write a custom
> wxDirTraverser that resolves the broken link issue or rethink how I am
> determining the best path for the KISYSMOD environment variable.  In
> either case, it will take some time to come up with a robust solution.
> Maybe you should keep a copy of that install around for testing purposes
> just in case I can't duplicate what you are seeing on my system.
>
> Wayne

Hi Wayne.

I think the internal traverser has the option to not traverse symlinks but
it just wasn't exposed via wxDir in the 2.8 series, at least that's my
understanding.

I think those symlinks are there because I did a rsync from the root
directory of a remote machine into a subdirectory on my machine. Maybe it
shouldn't be done or maybe we should handle that situation. I'm not
familiar enough with the issue to really understand the justifications
either way.

Chris