Re: Why pcbnew is statting so much?

On 8/4/2013 4:06 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
On 08/04/2013 02:09 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
On 8/4/2013 2:32 PM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
On Sun, Aug 04, 2013 at 02:08:17PM -0400, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
I apologize for the annoyance.  I've been on vacation and busy
training for a bike race next weekend so I haven't spent as much
time working on KiCad as I normally do.  Hopefully it wont be too
much longer.  I'm close to having the footprint library table code
done for CvPcb.  Please bear with me for a few more weeks.

It's no problem, since the workaround is trivial (i.e. put the file
somewhere else). Just wanted to raise the flag if it wasn't noticed yet.

Have good vacations :D

A better option would be to do an #export
KISYSMOD="/path/to/footprint/libraries".  This will prevent the path
search from occurring.  This was done for debugging new footprint
libraries.  If the KISYSMOD environment variable is defined when Pcbnew
is started, it will respect the user's preference and not ....

   ...try and set environment variable KISYSMOD itself [period].

(having the term "library search paths" in that same sentence could cause confusion, since
it mixes mutually exclusive paradigms.)

     not:  "...use any of the library search paths."

(The sooner we can stop talking about library search paths the less confused I will be.
This whole effort is an attempt to kill off that concept.)

KISYSMOD is merely a path fragment, i.e. an abbreviation, not a search path.  It is no
different than any other environment variable which you might use in an fp lib table,
except that Wayne makes a big effort to set KISYSMOD for you if you forget.

Sorry about the confusion. KISYSMOD is *not* a search path and has nothing to do with the current way footprint libraries are found. I am planning on setting KISYSMOD to the default footprint library install path for each platform and fallback to the CMake install path in case the user did a "make install". If the user manages to install the footprint libraries somewhere else, they will have to set KISYSMOD.

This wont have any impact if you don't have
USE_FP_LIB_TABLE=ON when you build KiCad.