Re: Python Scripting on Windows with KiCad-Winbuilder

On 08/04/2013 03:46 PM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
> On 4 August 2013 21:21, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dick@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On 08/04/2013 02:59 PM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
>     > Hi Guys,
>     >
>     >
>     >     (2) I get attribute errors when running either of the footprint wizards, but the
>     main
>     >     body of code appears to be working, it just looks like some API breakage or
>     something.
>     >
>     >
>     > I just build 4267 and the footprint wizard problems have gone away. Looks like
>     everything
>     > is good there. Just a problem with the PyCrust console. I assume that this is not a
>     global
>     > problem and is something specific to the Windows python scripting build? It's the last
>     > thing to fix now.
>
>     Either 1) the swig generated *.cc file must be manually deleted, or 2) you have do a "make
>     clean" before building "scripting enabled" pcbnew.  Ensure that, then report back if still
>     problems, else not.
>

> I removed them manually before it would build correctly as there were a few changes which
> had fixed the footprint wizards. The PyCrust console still hangs when focused on a new build.
>

>     >
>     > I'm going to apply the CMake changes to KiCad now to support Python-a-mingw-us. It
>     should
>     > be safe.
>
>     or awesome.
>

> Committed in 4268.
>
>> That readline module was never tested by me, and I am not sure what causes it to even
>> load.  Let me know if and when you understand that.  :)   We had been running without it
>> for a couple of months fine.
>
> I have renamed this to stop it loading, and this means the interactive sessions work.
> However, it does not stop PyCrust hanging.

Any platform detection tests can cause grief, since we do not claim to be Windows in the
python runtime.  We claim to be "gcc compiled" with some other attribute that talks about
OS (cannot remember).  If you were to do a diff across the entire bracket of a-ming-us
revisions,

bzr diff -r 1..latest  <regression tests>

limited to the regression test directories,
you will find one of the patches I applied to test for our platform specifically.  It will
be the one with "gcc" in it.  We cannot report "Windows" as our platform because mingw and
MSVC actually do a couple weird regression tests differently.

If PyCrust is assuming a limited set of platforms, it may be coming up short and running
into an unsupported platform code path.

Dick

 We could just temporarily disable this module