Re: Are the python BOMmers case sensitive?

On 9/19/2013 10:44 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2013 9:16 AM, "Lorenzo Marcantonio"
> <l.marcantonio@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:l.marcantonio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 08:42:41AM -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>> > I am not accustomed to someone asking for help in this fashion.
>>
>> It was not a request to fix it now. However there seems to be a problem,
>> so I tought it would be useful to signal it.
>>
>> > It sounds like two things need to be done.
>> >
>> > 1) the python netlist loader needs to assume utf8.
>> >
>> > 2) eeschema should be made case sensitive in its use of component names.
>>
>> That was the reason for the initial question. What is the 'official'
>> decision about case sensitivity?
>
> IMO, strong, both the eescema design and the xml netlist should have
> referential integrity.
>
> How does it look to give someone an xml file and say, all the references
> are case insensitive, other than hoaky?
>
> The referential integrity of the xml file
> Is established by the referential integrity within the design files,
> schematic and libraries, or by the lack of such referential integrity.
>
> Future processors of the xml file will hinge on this decision, which I
> have just voiced a strong opinion on.
>
> I will yield to Jean-Pierre and Wayne however, saving my capital for
> larger issues.

I've never liked the fact the Eeschema is case insensitive so you'll get
no argument from me.  It's just been that way since I've joined the
project.  Changing it surely will break some existing projects and
libraries.  There is only one way to find out how many things will get
broken.  That's one of the reason's I never tackled the problem.  I
didn't want to know the answer to that question :).  If you feel up to
it, by all means make Eeschema case sensitive.