Re: Github plugin.

On 09/26/2013 10:52 AM, Carl Poirier wrote:
> Hi Dick,
>
> I neither read the whole thread nor played with pretty yet, but if the steps to convert
> the libraries are fairly straightforward, I can volunteer to do it. I did however create
> many libraries in the old format so if needed, I will be able to validate the conversion.
>
> If you agree, please write down the steps required for the conversion and I will do it.

Please tell me about your kicad environment:

a) are you buiding your own?

b) platform?

c) have you built with python scripting yet?

If c) is yes, then try reading the instructions at the top of

   <kicad_src>/scripts/lib_convert.py

Me no python guru.

Step 3) is the actual conversion.  The smd_dil would be replaced for each library.  In
this example there, smd_dil.pretty is actually a subdirectory.  The *.kicad_mods will go
into that directory.

This suggests having a master directory above that, say called pretty_footprints somewhere
to stage this work.  In there you would generate a series of *.pretty dirs, one for each
library.

Then build kicad with FP_LIB_TABLE support.  Create table rows in

   pcbnew -> Preferences -> Library Tables.

One row for each *.pretty directory.  This table can be copied to and from a spreadsheet
for editing.  Select a region, righ mouse click, paste into a spreadsheet.  Get it right,
copy it back.  The type should be "Kicad" for pretty libraries.  The Nickname can be
anything, typically the directory name without .pretty extension.

Go into the module viewer, do some sampling, see your pretty footprints.  Establish
confidence or talk of problems.

Thank you.