Re: A tribute to KiCad quality

On 11/18/2013 07:11 PM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:25:16AM -0600, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
I find KiCad barely useable.  I am in no way satisfied with KiCad.  In my view it is
however making progress, although more like 3 steps forward and 1 step back.

I do not agree with that. It's *far* from perfect, but beats every low
cost EDA package I've ever tried.
Hi Lorenzo,

ATM the thing still I mostly miss are inter-class design rules (i.e.
having 220VAC and 5VDC on the same board).
Why don't you write a one A4-page long blueprint, discuss it on the list, and if your time permits, code the thing?

Also a better 'drag trace' would be even more useful for me than the P&S
router. Maybe it's a workflow issue of mine, I don't know...
What do you mean by 'better drag trace'? I have environment-aware dragging in my P&S plans, I'd really appreciate your feedback.

The 1 step back you are mentioning is probably due to the constant
changing evolution (for example I really don't like the new opengl view
but that's probably because it's still little more than a proof of
concept).
Every big thing starts with a proof of concept, committing stuff early lets bugs be hunted down and fixed fast. We are talking about multiplatform OpenGL, on broad range of HW and drivers of less than perfect quality.

Or maybe the real reason you don't like OpenGL is because it doesn't work on your S3 Virge/Trident/ET4000/Hercules graphics? ;-)

Regards,
Tom