Re: Revisiting the Git decision (I come in peace! - with a patch)

Hi there,

I've been lurking and haven't gotten into the KiCad source code yet. I
joined the dev list to get help with building under OS X. This bzr/git
debate is something I've been wondering about as well.

I initially had issues installing bzr and bzr-tools under OS X. I tried
using the KiCad Homebrew installer and it installed bzr and bzr-tools for
me and then compiled KiCad. I know nothing of bzr on other platforms.

Honestly: I don't think switching to git is actually going to solve the
REAL issue behind why new devs want to see KiCad move to git. I think it's
mostly a _documentation_ issue.

The KiCad website and KiCad Launchpad page are full of broken or misleading
links to old, outdated, or conflicting information. Binaries (and
libraries) for all platforms are not readily available on either site.

There is no simple, one stop location for documentation. It's spread
through forums, email chains, bug reports, old email archives (left over
from sourceforge), and a random slurry of blog posts by randoms all over
the web.

One solution to the bzr/git debate could be: Spend time fixing up the KiCad
sites. Name some to the task. Shove all the git/bzr back-and-forth into one
place while ALSO providing the rest of the info newcomers (devs or users)
need to get rolling.

Besides, a GitHub fork DOES exist and was being updated pretty regularly
when I last checked... If bzr WAS a boundary to new devs, they'd all just
start working off of that git fork and drop bzr on it's ass regardless...
But that hasn't happened...

Just my 3cents,
James Hagerman