Drawing a schematic component in simple canvas/bitmap ?

Hi,
In an attempt to have the new component chooser provide a little
pre-view of the schematic component in question, I am looking for a
simple way to draw a component in a canvas. Or even simpler: get a
bitmap out of it.

It looks like the EDA_DRAW_PANEL would be the candidate to use here
(being a simple wxScrolledWindow and stuff), however, it somehow is
tightly coupled with an EDA_DRAW_FRAME that I don't have available in
that dialog. So it looks like it is more complicated than I initially
hoped for, or I am just know knowledegable enough in KiCad source and
wxWidgets yet to find a simple solution for this without untangeling
these dependencies too much (which I don't want to right now to not
interfere with current refactoring approaches).

Is there a way, or should I wait for the refactoring dust to settle ?

-h

Follow ups