Re: Environment Variables

On 03/17/2014 08:19 AM, Alejandro Méndez A. wrote:
> Hi Dick,
>
> I did try to set NEW environment variables to use with KICAD and they didn't work. At
> least in Xubuntu.
>
> I only wanted to know if Kicad could use a different one from the ones that it comes with.
> If that wasn't the case, I wanted to know if changing the one defined in Kicad as KISYSMOD
> could be changed since when I look at my systems variables that one is not defined. If it
> was I would've tried to change it.
>
> You could've just answer the mailling list, don't you think?

> Anyway, thank you for the hitting me in the nose :)

Thank you for your thank you.

Look for the technique used to set KIGITHUB in here:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kicad-product-committers/kicad/product/view/head:/scripts/kicad-install.sh#L157

There is nothing magic about KIGITHUB, kicad never sets it.  The user does when he runs
this script.  Change the name, use the same technique, and your environment variable will
be set.  Will have to reboot or logout login.

Note that there are two paths in that function, one will work, try until you succeed, feel
free to use google, that's what I did to write the script.

NOW.  I have a request for YOU:

Once you have this working, please share your findings and try and get the user community
informed on how to do this.   Saying "this is too hard" does not count as helpful, we are
already working on that.