Re: a way to handle translations

Le 06/06/2014 01:18, Marco Ciampa a écrit :
> Hello, hope topic not too boring for you serious devs ... :-)
>
> I am a translator and started to look at kicad because of many
> untranslated strings in italian I saw in it. Looking at the translation
> strings (in it.po file) I have seen that many are missing.
> I mean that, for example, I see that "Open Text Editor" or "Open Project"
> is not translated and is not present in kicad-doc.bzr/internat/it/kicad.po.
>>From this fact a couple of questions:
>  - how is handled the translation update process in kicad?
>  - why not using po/POTFILES.in and leave the burden to intltool-update that
>    is made for this?
>
> TIA

Thanks for you interest about Kicad.

Kicad uses .mo and .po files and the tool to build and maintain
translation files is Poedit (multiplatform tool).
Poedit is designed to easily maintain translations in applications using
wxWidgets library (this is the case for Kicad).
the kicad.po file is the file used by Poedit to manage translations, and
the kicad.mo is the translation created by Poedit.

Please, read the doc file GUI_Translation_HOWTO.pdf (in kicad  sources),
which explains how to maintain translations.

You need the latest Kicad sources to build/maintain translations, but
translation files are always fully outside sources.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS