a way to handle translations

Hello, hope topic not too boring for you serious devs ... :-)

I am a translator and started to look at kicad because of many
untranslated strings in italian I saw in it. Looking at the translation
strings (in it.po file) I have seen that many are missing.
I mean that, for example, I see that "Open Text Editor" or "Open Project"
is not translated and is not present in kicad-doc.bzr/internat/it/kicad.po.
>From this fact a couple of questions:
 - how is handled the translation update process in kicad?
 - why not using po/POTFILES.in and leave the burden to intltool-update that
   is made for this?

TIA

--

Marco Ciampa