Re: Requesting your co-operation for new version of Oscad, a free and open source EDA tool

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 8:39 PM, Oscad Team <oscad.team@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback and support! We are keen to work with the developers
> to come up with a blueprint. Could you let us know how to get started?
> Should we list down all the changes that we plan to make and submit for
> approval?

Orson already described the logistics. I would add that it would make
sense to split things into functional and technical specifications.
The former concerns what the user would get. The latter would describe
how it would be done. Functional specifications can be discussed
before even writing the technical specs, and would include things
like:

- What type of simulations should be possible? Spice, digital,
S-parameter, IBIS for signal integrity, other?
- How a user would set up and run a simulation.
- What type of UI would be offered to the user? Would e.g. plots be
automatically re-calculated and displayed if a parameter is changed in
the schematics? How would stimuli be entered? How would you probe
signals and select them for plotting?
- Formats of any output files the user would get.

Some examples of what would belong in the technical specs:

- Any changes required in KiCad's schematic file format.
- Netlist generation.
- Integration of one or several simulation engines in KiCad.

After these two phases, the whole simulation package can be broken
into smaller work packages to be approved so people can grab one and
start working. To be clear: if IIT Bombay wants to code all of it, we
would be very happy. We are not really looking for extra work right
now :)

Cheers,

Javier