Re: winbuilder debug build link fail

Hi Jason,

Winbuilder doesn't currently support a debug version build. It's not a
good development environment, but it does at least give you the
dependencies you need to build KiCad on Windows successfully.

The problem with the debug build is with Python as Python searches for
different module names when built as debug as opposed to a release
version - I don't remember the specifics. Some of the compiler
definitions would probably have to be solved too for the Python debug
build. At the time Dick and I discussed this and decided that it
wasn't worth the effort when printf* is so useful, I tended to concur
there, although sometimes stepping through code is the only way I can
efficiently debug!

If you want to build a debug version without python support, you can
do that by linking against wxWidgets instead of wxPython. The binaries
are available from the same launchpad project. I will update them to
3.0.1 as soon as I can. At the moment, they're a patched 3.0.0.

If you want to build a version using your own toolchain, I heavily
suggest you build the dependencies with that toochain too. The
wxwidgets-cmake project, etc. make that very easy to do.

* On windows, as the stdout pipe is dropped from a wxWidgets app I use
OutputDebugString instead, it's a rather poor string output with no
formatting, but you can add that in easily enough. You can see the
output with DebugView.

Lastly, although developing *for* windows is important, developing
under Linux is just *so* much more productive! But I wouldn't want to
discourage anyone who wants to work on Windows.

Best Regards,

Brian.