Re: New form of back annotation

On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 01:32:02AM -0700, Jason Whiteman wrote:
> Maybe my workflow in using Kicad is does not match the expectations of use
> - but I avoid back-annotation from CvPCB because I generally populate
> "footprint" with what should be regarded as "package" (0402, etc) and keep
> this "wrong" usage throughout.  Back annotation from CvPCB (manual -
> previous method) would overwrite my package designations on the schematic.

And what would the problem be? It would replace the package with the
same value...

> At any rate - back/forward annotation (primarily between PCBnew and
> EESchema) are on my TODO list to reduce the click count -- something you're
> accomplishing for CvPCB.  These are cases where I think enabling more
> automation is a good thing as long as there's a lever to turn the
> automation off.

When you don't have gate/pin swap that's desiderable... ever had to find
the 'best' permutation for a quad resistor pack or even worse a 7400?
However for that cvpcb is not necessary, just need to do the netlist
turnaround. And given that usually I take more time *thinking* of the
best swap to do, the mechanical clicky time is more or less irrelevant
:D

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl