Re: [patch] introduce text checking in pcbnew's DRC

On 8/13/2014 12:00 PM, jp charras wrote:
> Le 13/08/2014 01:30, Simon Schumann a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> here's a patch to tackle https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1201090
>>
>> It brings text checking on par with keepoutAreas (in fact I used it as
>> template). At the moment boundary box is used as area to check (per line
>> checking is being considered).
>>
>> It lacks pin checking (as well as keepoutAreas), but I will send a patch
>> for both as soon as I figured out a nice way to do it.
>>

>> I hope the patch is not too bad - it's my first one :)
>>
>> schuhumi
>
> Thanks, Simon.
>
> It was helpful.
> I modified it and added the drc pad test.
>
> The exact text shape is now used.

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, I can place a via or
trace inside the text bounding box and the DRC will *not* complain
unless the via or trace clearance from the actual text is violated.  I
do this often because my designs are very small and I typically need
every last bit of area I can get so using the bounding box would be
detrimental in my use case.  Of course I could always ignore the DRC but
I would rather the DRC give the proper checks I need.