Re: Edge.Cuts layer in the module editor

On 9/3/2014 12:33 PM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:

>> Jean-Pierre,
>>
>> What do you think about it? Maybe it is better to connect edges if
>> there is a break smaller than the thickness of segments instead of
>> simply accepting them as they are?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Orson
>
> I think we could do it in a similar fashion to EESCHEMA (it's a more
> pleasant experience when things work in a similar way) Any vertexes on
> the Edge.Cuts layer that do not match *exactly* should be highlighted
> with a square centred on the disconnected vertex(es).
>
> Secondly, we can apply similar logic to pads being magnetic to tracks
> by having Edge.Cuts vertexes being able to snap to currently off-grid
> Edge.Cuts vertexes as well as to the grid.
>
> This way anyone can guarantee they have at least connected all of
> their Edge.Cuts drawings. Secondly, part of the DRC check can also
> list disconnected Edge.Cuts vertexes - because that should at least be
> a warning, if not an error.
>
> I don't think there's any reason to have disconnected vertexes on the
> Edge.Cuts layer is there? Perhaps for drawing a rout line, but then I
> draw a rectangle with the correct width of the router bit I want used
> so it is less ambiguous.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Brian.

Excellent suggestions.  This seems like a reasonable path forward.  I
really like the snapping idea as an easy way to close the vertices.  I
always have to manually go back and use the segment properties to make
sure each vertex ends at the same point if I don't get them right the
first time.  Should I add this to the road map?  It seems like a good
candidate.