Re: Rename proposal

On 10 September 2014 17:31, Lorenzo Marcantonio
<l.marcantonio@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 05:14:43PM +0100, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
>> I don't get that conclusion considering that module "text placed on a
>> front layer" is currently impossible as instead in a module it will be
>> placed on F_Silk!!
>
> Because at the moment there is *no* way to specify another layer for the
> text. Text on a module is *always* on F_SilkS and could be flipped with
> the module to B_SilkS. No other layer is possible. *Definitely* text
> can't go on F_Cu or B_Cu and probably never will for DRC issues. Only
> the module itself can be on F_Cu or B_Cu (and *only* on one of these
> two).
>
>> If you make the changes to those functions to change their behaviour
>> to exclude just module text that is on F_Cu or B_Cu then you'll also
>> need new functions to exclude all module text regardless of layer
>> based on the module being on either the Front or Back of the board and
>> fix MODULE_TOOLS::EnumeratePads.
>
> From comments in the headers and constructors the intended behaviour is
> "exclude text in front/back sides".
>
> So if I set IgnoreTextMFront it would ignore:
>
> - For a module placed on the front (F_Cu on the module)
>   Text on F_SilkS (that's the *only* case possible now) and then F_Fab,
>   F_Adhes, F_Whatever;
>
>   but, also:
>
> - For a module placed on the back: B_SilkS, B_Fab, B_Adhes, B_Whatever
>   since if a module is flipper, back text on the modules actually
>   appears on the front! Currently this situation can't happen but it
>   will in a short time and that's the reason for which you need to check
>   the text layer, not the module one.
>
> As for the pad collector, it sets both so in fact it will ignore text on
> *any* layer (independently from the layer the module is on). So
> compatibility is assured.
>
> --
> Lorenzo Marcantonio
> Logos Srl

Fair enough, I disagree and this just over-complicates things
needlessly in my opinion. You'll have to track all of the layers that
we're going to allow text to appear on in a module and limit the layer
selector to that range and duplicate that in all the functions that
have to deal with this - it's just more assumptions that end in
disaster or limited functionality in the end.

My opinion - just allow module text on any layer. Give the module
designer flexibility. That way we don't need more special cases, and
functions do what they say on the tin without needing
IgnoreModuleTextsOnFrontIfOnSilkOrFabOrAdhesOrWhatever()

But as you're in front of the keyboard, good luck! :D

Best Regards,

Brian.