Re: Project proposal

> Since Javier sort of let the cat out of the bag, I thought now would be
> a good time as my first official announcement as project leader to talk
> about creating a stable release of KiCad.  As you may have read in
> Javier's post that this stable release would be a light weight release
> in that there would not be bug fix back ports.  The goal is to attempt
> to strike a balance between the needs of users and the resource
> limitations of the project.  In order for this to work effectively, I
> feel we have to adopt a slightly different development model than we
> currently have.  I am proposing that we move to a model more like the
> Linux kernel where there is a merge window for new features followed by
> a stabilization period.  Once the merge window is closed, we can focus
> on the tasks required for a stable release.  I am *not* suggesting we go
> to a time based release.  I don't believe we are in the position to make
> that happen.  The amount of time the merge window is open will depend on
> what new features are introduced and how disruptive they are.  The
> amount of time between the close of the merge window and the next stable
> release will depend on how long it takes to complete all of the tasks
> required to ready a high quality stable release.  The way I see it, the
> following tasks would need to be completed in order for a stable release.

I think the model can work for KiCad, but I still wonder how exactly
the progress should be tracked. Will it be a page kicad-pcb.org or
just one thread here on the list?

> 1) Bug fixing
>
> At a minimum all bugs that cause segfaults or loss of data need to be
> fixed first.  All new and existing features must perform as expected and
> documented.  We need to flesh out all the new features such as GAL, P&S
> router, and Kiway code to make sure it is rock solid.

How should we initiate this? Should we start out by selecting bug
reports for the new features, or like set the goal of fixing/closing
all bugs listed on the lp tracker since the start of year 2014, or
something and let that be the first merge window? This should at least
give us something with way more value that the old stable.