Re: P&S plans for the near future

Le 19/09/2014 00:54, Tomasz Wlostowski a écrit :
> On 18.09.2014 23:16, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> On 9/18/2014 4:42 PM, Cirilo Bernardo wrote:

Tom, Orson,

Your planned improvements are very great.

About arc support for tracks, using a piecewise approximation is a
reasonable idea.
Anyway, in all cases (drc, filling zones ...) arcs will be converted to
segments in calculations.
Using true arc in plotting/drawing functions, and segments in
calculations, will create issues, and surely a lot of bug reports.

True arcs are tricky to handle.
The first issue is the fact the Y axis in Pcbnew is reversed. This
creates a lot of problems in complex calculations.

But true arc support is not easy, mainly after they are created and
connected to tracks, when you are are editing these tracks (dragging,
moving, changing angle between tracks connected to the arc...) or these
arcs.

At least, using segment approximations avoid to write a lot of code to
handle true arcs (and does not change the .kicad_pcb files, although
this is not a major issue).
(For representation of miters/meanders, the current code should be enough).

Using true arcs later, if we see issues with segment approximations, is
always possible.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS