Re: Turn key build system for poking and messing around with the sources

On 9 October 2014 10:01, Benoît Roehr <benoit.roehr.ec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le 09/10/2014 08:36, Lorenzo Marcantonio a écrit :
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 11:33:39PM +0200, Benoît Roehr wrote:
>>>
>>> Does someone have a turnkey solution for building and running eeschema
>>> alone
>>> ? Can it be done by tweaking winbuilder ? (help help !)
>>
>> Well, if you only touch eeschema the rebuild will only recompile that!
>>
>> So I see no needs for tweakings...
>>
> You answered exactly my concern ! I was searching a way to speed up the
> compilation.
> Ok, so now, I'm digging into the cMake script to build kicad from local
> source. I'll find this I think.

KiCad-Winbuilder is not a great way to develop code, but if you have
it on your computer and you want to investigate the sources, you can
at least do that.

Once you've compiled once, use the enterenv.bat batch file to enter a
console with the KiCad winbuilder environment setup. From here you can
move to the build directory and use the command "mingw32-make
eeschema" to build just eeschema, or else mingw32-make by itself to
build everything (that requires building).

Running make.bat is not going to be good if you're making local
changes because you'll likely hit conflicts at some point and
everything will become a mess. Just investigate and make changes, then
when you want to update to the latest version of KiCad you can enter
the kicad source directory and use "bzr diff > mychanges.diff" to keep
track of your changes in a diff file, followed by bzr revert to remove
your changes from the tree. You can then safely run make.bat again to
update and compile everything.

As make.bat checks for the latest documentation and KiCad source code
it is much quicker to enter the environment and issue the make
commands directly. You'll have to run eeschema from the build
directory, or else manually copy it across to the kicad\bin folder to
use RunKiCad.bat

Lastly, if you do want to develop KiCad I would strongly urge moving
to Linux for development because it's just soooo much easier and
faster! We always require heavy testing on Windows, but developing on
Windows is a real pain.

Good Luck anyway!

Best Regards,

Brian.