Re: kicad-install.sh requiring python-wxgtk3.0

On 10/20/2014 11:43 AM, Adam Wolf wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I do not think we should work on the build script anymore.  If the build
> script worked very, very, well, it still doesn't help the vast majority
> of our users, and by having the build script, we implicitly sign up for
> supporting every user that wants to use it.
>
> Completely honestly, I think that as soon as we have KiCad binary
> releases, we should eliminate kicad-install.sh and turn it in to
> documentation instead of something expected to be exectuable.  We
> already *have* a build script--it's CMake!  If you're not debugging or
> adding features to KiCad, I don't think you should have to compile it.
>
> The maintenance of this script has a very real cost--this weekend I
> spent most of Saturday setting up a backports PPA instead of working on
> binary releases, and someone just reported that the kicad-install.sh
> script doesn't work in Fedora 20 because the wx-config script is called
> wx-config3.0 or something like that.
>
> Adam Wolf
> Cofounder and Engineer
> W&L, LLC

I couldn't have said it better myself.  I support this idea 100%.  We
already have compile instructions for each platform.  Some of them are a
little out of date but I would prefer that folks building from source
use the compiling instructions rather than kicad-install.sh.  It's not
just the cost of maintaining this script, it's obvious that we have
non-developers trying to use this script to build kicad from source and
it's creating a lot of extra build support work for developers.  I would
prefer our limit developer resources be spend writing code and bug
fixing than user support.