Re: Incremental build speeds.

Tim,
On 22 Oct 2014, at 17:45, Tim Hutt <tdhutt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oh yeah I forgot to mention I have an SSD, and -j4 did not make a huge difference (can't remember exact time).
>
> I like the DLL solution though! I'm planning to (maybe) do a bit of work on the 3d viewer as it is not much code and quite self-contained. Seems to be a static library at the moment so I will maybe have a go at changing it to a dynamic one.
>
> I might also try porting to QBS (Qt's new build system) which is much faster than make in my experience.

You can try, but my guess is that you should not expect a warm welcome for patches doing so. CMake may be slower, but it has shown to be able to deal with a whole lot of weird things on all platforms. The main devs and Dick (I am not) have spent so much time on this, that I doubt they´ll be very receptive. Also, kicad used Wx, why use a QT build-system?

I am not trying to start a flamefest, but perhaps it convinces you to spend that time on other KiCad improvements.

Kind regards,
Martijn